Enjoy this Random Photo
Think about thisAll our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last.-Marcel Proust
- nodejs on Google App Engine – forcing HTTPS inbound, via HSTS
- Jackson and XmlMapper – reading arbitrary data into a java.util.Map
- medialize/URI.js – why’d you go and get all fancy?
- Do you use curl? Stop using -u. Please use .netrc
- It’s that time of year… when people think about exchanging JWT for opaque tokens
- RT @Waymo: Our cars have been on the move! Waymo has now self-driven over 8 million miles on public roads across 25 U.S. citie… link, 17 hours ago
- RT @Noahpinion: American auto companies are fighting Trump's auto tariffs. Trump's trade war is that stupid - he's going to war wi… link, 2018/07/20 at 4:03pm
- Delightful. Michael Cohen has recordings of President* Trump discussing payoffs to a woman who was not his wife.… link, 2018/07/20 at 4:03pm
- ICYMI. Many equate Trump with populism. Eg, Two recent books that present populism as new, and a threat to liberal… link, 2018/07/19 at 3:36am
- June 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (1)
- December 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (1)
- August 2016 (1)
- April 2016 (1)
- March 2016 (2)
- February 2016 (3)
- January 2016 (4)
- July 2015 (5)
- June 2015 (2)
- May 2015 (2)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- October 2014 (1)
- August 2014 (3)
- July 2014 (3)
- June 2014 (6)
- April 2014 (2)
- December 2013 (3)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (3)
- May 2013 (5)
- April 2013 (1)
- March 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (3)
- December 2012 (2)
- November 2012 (6)
- October 2012 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (10)
- June 2012 (16)
- May 2012 (14)
My Open source projects
These are all projects I have initiated.
- IIRF - an ISAPI Filter that does rewriting and proxying, like mod_rewrite and mod_proxy for Apache. C/C++.
- CleanModQueue - a tool to automatically clean your reddit moderator queue. .NET, C#, WinForms, REST, JSON, System.Net.Http.
- gplus - a wordpress plugin that displays your most recent Google+ activity. PHP, REST, JSON. You can see this running in the sidebar on this page, above.
- flickr_eyecandy - a wordpress plugin that displays a random flickr "Eye Candy" image, selecting one photo from Flickr with the tag or tags you provide. PHP, REST, XML. You can see this running just above, on this page.
- XPath Visualizer - a Windows tool that helps you visualize XPath query results. .NET, C#, WinForms, XML
- ReloadIt (ReloadIE) - a Windows tool that reloads an IE tab, based on a change in a filesystem file. Works like Mac's Live Reload, but for IE. .NET, C#, WPF.
- csharp-mode - an emacs major-mode for editing C# code.
Word Form adjective Definition Occurring or operating at the same time. Synonyms co-occurrent, concurrent, simultaneous Usage 'You will observe,' said Holmes, laying down the volume, 'that the sudden breaking up of the society was coincident with the disappearance of Openshaw from America with their papers.'
Tag Archives: Hadoop
It’s common knowledge that Facebook runs Hadoop. The largest Hadoop cluster on the planet. Here are some stats, courtesy of HighScalability, which scraped them from twitter during the Velocity conference: 6 billion mobile messages every 30 minutes 3.8 trillion cache operations in 30 minutes 160m newsfeeds, 5bln realtime … Continue reading
I am bullish on Hadoop and other NoSQL technologies. Long-term I believe they will be instrumental in providing quantum leaps in efficiency for existing businesses. But even more, I believe that mainstream BigData will open up brand new opportunities that were simply unavailable before. Right now we focus … Continue reading
Curt Monash, writing on The DBMS2 blog, addressed the enterprise readiness of Hadoop recently. tl/dr: Hadoop is proven indeed, whether in technology, vendor support, or user success. But some particularly conservative enterprises may for a while disagree. But is Mr Monash really of one mind on the topic? especially … Continue reading
Interesting. Michael Stonebraker, who has previously expressed skepticism regarding the industry excitement around Hadoop, has done it again. Even at lower scale, it is extremely eco-unfriendly to waste power using an inefficient system like Hadoop. Inefficient, he says! Pretty strong words. Stonebraker credits Hadoop for democratizing large-scale parallel … Continue reading
I’m a technologist. I believe technology, well utilized, can advance business goals. A business can derive a signficant advantage from making the right technology moves, exploiting information in just the right way. But I am a bit skeptical of the excitement in the industry around Big Data, MapReduce, … Continue reading